Saturday 22 February 2020

Questioning Scanxiety



I don't find winter an easy time of year, I certainly am no where near as active or productive as in the spring and summer, and cold winds still can make my head feel nerve pain or achy. Plus I really miss sunbathing and recouping my energy - my kids don't call me a tortoise for no reason! 😂

For the last 2 years I also started getting dull headaches in the winter, starting from about December, (see Crying in the Rain) I remember getting odd sensations and scanxiety for the few months before my last MRI (in April 2018) then being relieved that it was fine. (see Scanxiety and SCAN RESULTS!)

Then again last year the same thing happened and I started with the dull headaches just before Christmas, but thankfully I reminded myself that this was seemingly an annual occurrence, and didn't get too stressed over not having a scan soon for reassurance.

The same has happened again this winter.

I don't know if it's purely as the cold weather triggers head pains, or if somehow my body has held the cellular memory of what happened?
...and so, as the major symptoms of my tumour started in December, my body kindly reminds me of it each year. 🤔

 ↔


I also know that I have another MRI due this year, around April or May time, and so I feel there is some tension and scanxiety brewing again..

Stress causes my head to tighten up, I can now easily feel it and the muscles right up my neck into my head, which then in turn causes my head to hurt.

I know my Neurosurgeon reminded me last year that 'head pains are not actually from the brain, as the brain has no pain sensors' ... but... I certainly had headaches when I had a brain tumour - and right over where the tumour was, plus after surgery I could clearly feel a buzzing 'in' my brain! 🤔

I have also realised that somewhere in my mind I have taken it that between 3-4 years is when a re-occurrence is likely to occur, if if does. So it feels this is an important scan to know what's happening. 

I fully realise it's not much point worrying about what could easily be fine, but I also know confirmation that all is OK will be very reassuring.

"Suddenly the head pains are just side effects of surgery again rather than the concern the tumour 'may be returning'..."



It feels like these follow up scans are an information and possible decision time, much like when you are pregnant and go to a ultrasound to confirm all looks OK with baby. It doesn't change anything about what's happening, but it helps you know that most things are probably OK and you can relax a little. Or possibly give you advance warning that there may be a concern that needs rechecking or an action taking.


There is so little information about hemangioblastoma's online, even less about those not linked to VHL disease, and really not much at all about the re-occurrence rate for sporadic tumours as mine was. 



Much of what I have read has changed within less than 4 years since my diagnosis, as has information on the cerebellum.

However it seems the general consensus is that up to 25% of sporadic hemangioblastoma's regrow. Whether that is because of the area in the brain and if wasn't all able to be removed first time without damaging something, I am not sure. 🤔

Even with my Facebook support group, of about 100 people who also had cerebellar hemangioblastoma's, I think only a couple had surgery very similar. The majority of  hemangioblastoma's are surrounded by a cyst - mine wasn't. (See here for the different types)

Most didn't get an extra hole in the skull at the front of their head for a external drain during surgery, and I don't think any others have a similar plastic plate in their skull. Some had 2 surgeries, one to embolise the blood vessels first, others a second for different reasons such as draining the cyst first. Many have cuts straight up their neck and so they didn't have their greater occipital nerve cut, nor half their head still being numb. Some were in hospital months after, and I think my leaving after 2 days is faster than all. 


There is such an obvious variation in types of surgery, let alone what we don't know about the actual operation in theatre, that this 25% re-occurrence could also drastically differ from the difference in how surgery is performed and the surgeon's knowledge. 

I simply don't think there are studies working out the best outcomes. I also doubt any surgeon is going to admit a better method has since been found, so us patients aren't going to know!



Definitely no studies have been done in how often follow up checks should be carried out, some have them every 6 months, many yearly - but others having none

How much does insurance and cost play a part into this recommendation? 🤔 

My scans being 6 months, 2 then 4 yearly so far; then if all is OK not for another 5 years, are very much being at the lower end of the scale. 

So ... From my observations on my group, if a tumour has reoccurred then it seems to be between 3-4 years after their first surgery. This may well include those with VHL, as many haven't been tested on first occurrence of their tumour, it may also include those whose surgeon didn't remove it all in the original operation, but hadn't made that clear. 


But I now have the belief that my scan will be important. 

It's 'the' most important one.




It was only on someone else in this group saying that they were due their first yearly follow up and how their surgeon had said this was the most important scan that I realised how much...

... our information can affect our thoughts and therefore our reality. 


They were nervous of this first scan, me of my next...


 ↔


Is it any different to birth and other Mums either telling you that 'You'll be begging for an epidural' or 'It's the most natural amazing experience of your life' and it changing your perception and fear completely?! 

(Sorry, I have 4 kids... I was told these, and mainly other fear based stories a lot!! 🙄As it was I had 4 births without drugs, and two home-births which very much showed me how much of a variety there can be, and much of it and the 'luck' is based on your fear, knowledge and accepting, or not, what is) 

But right now, I'm a bit like a pregnant mum awaiting her scan, not wanting to believe everything is alright until you get confirmation all is OK. Sort of ignoring the scan date and continuing with life until the day arrives. Not yet quite believing all is well and getting false hopes up...


You know it doesn't guarantee everything will be fine, but it certainly helps reassure you there is nothing major to worry about!



As I have said before ... One of the hardest things to deal with is that the after effects from my brain tumour are the same as the symptoms of it ...






All you can ultimately do is trust. 💖





.





No comments:

Post a Comment